Monday, March 29, 2010

Vegetarian Fajitas


Vegetarian fajitas + fresh guacamole + black bean, corn, serrano pepper + chips/salsa + fruit salad = a delicious first meal to post!

The vegetarian fajitas were made with a meat substitute called Quorn. "What in the world is Quorn?" you ask. Well, so did I. And I found my answer here:


I've tried several meat substitutes over the past couple of years, and this has been my favorite by far. The texture comes closer to chicken than anything else I've tried. The flavor isn't bad on its own, but for my fajitas I added a little worchestershire, liquid smoke, sea salt and fresh ground peppercorns. Worked brilliantly. Along with the Quorn, I sauteed onion, red bell pepper and mushrooms, then topped the fajita with sliced cherub tomatoes and fresh sliced basil leaves.

For the black bean dish, I sauteed the corn with garlic and a couple sliced serrano peppers before adding the mixture to the black beans. I love the serrano pepper for its spice (it's hot!), but also for its really fresh, organic flavor. After my first bite, I quickly realized that one serrano would have been plenty!

This is the second time I've made the fruit salad. Coincidentally, I remembered as I was making it that it was exactly one year ago today that I made it for the first time. I took it to a dinner party, and it was a big hit then as well as now. Fresh sliced cantaloupe and strawberries with fresh blackberries are soaked in a syrup made from water, lemon juice, sugar, honey and cayenne pepper. The balance of spice and sweetness turned out perfectly!

I saved my fruit salad until after dinner and enjoyed it with a cup of hot tea- a Madagascar vanilla rooibos from Celestial Seasonings.


The soft, smooth vanilla flavor of the tea was a perfect balance for the spicy tartness of the fruit.



No comments:

Post a Comment